Saturday 14 January 2012

The Iron Lady

Went for a trip to the flicks with my parents yesterday.

After the Irish film certification came up on the screen, which was, given the subject of the film, ironic, we were plunged into the life of Baroness Thatcher and our recent political history.

The fact that she has Alzheimers is central to the manner in which the story is told and I thought that it was very sympathetic to her and the condition in general and I'm not a Thatcher fan. As to whether it should have been made whilst she is still alive, well I wouldn't have wanted it if it were about a member of my family. I don't know what Carol Thatcher's take on it is.  All very moving, but this is her family right now. Fortunatley, my mother was not PM for 11 years.  (She would have made a better job of it. Goes without saying....)

Politically it went some way to explaining her confrontational style.  It doesn't make me want to read any biographies just yet,but it gave a different gloss to various events. 

Lots of good bits which I won't spoil for you.

Worth seeing. May put your blood pressure up if the Miners' Strike and mass unemployment in the 80s is a touchy subject for you.

Dennis was a sweety.  Just don't think about the investments in S Africa.

No comments: