Sunday 2 December 2012

Turn to page one and the letter A




Yesterday at early o'clock (6.20am as it goes,) I wiped the ice off my bicycle seat and sped off in the dark to the station. Of course I knew that when I got to Ryde it would be sunny, because the weather is always good when we go to the IOW. Even when the fog descended as I approached Portsmouth.... all sunny on the seafront in Ryde.

This time we looked at the Introits for the four Sundays of Advent.

I reacquainted myself with the Triplex, which I am gradually covering in tiny pencil writing. Eventually, I will not only have written all over it, but I might have got a bit more of a hang of the squiggles as well as the squares.

From today's Introit, Ad te levavi we get the emphatic idea that those negatives are very important; 'let me NOT be put to shame; do NOT allow my enemies to laugh at me.

We also came away with an Advent shopping list of psalms to read; 24, 79, 84, for starters.

Sister, chanting all the psalms weekly, has only to sing a phrase to be transported into the whole psalm and a whole world of meaning.

The mix of modes, source notes, knowledge of the texts and the greater contexts of the texts is fantastic, so it's always a shame when the bell goes and it's time for her to disappear again.

In other news I was very pleased with Mass XVII and Rorate Caeli. People have been taking their books home to practise.

We also had a mighty sing of Adeste fidelis after Mass.

Puer natus in Bethlehem, here we come.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Ryde, Isle of Wight

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for this post. You might enjoy some liturgical music from the Oratory Choir YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/oratorychoir?feature=mhee

Zephyrinus said...

One really can't wait for Advent to begin, after reading this enthusiastic Posting.

With three of the Psalms to read, you've only got another one hundred and forty-seven to go before you are on an equal footing with the Sister in Ryde.

Well done, Leutgeb, to you and your chaps who sing the tunes.